develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from September 2009

how to do a `cp` on millions of files

From:
xufengnju
Date:
September 28, 2009 19:31
Subject:
how to do a `cp` on millions of files
Message ID:
200909291029564066469@sina.com
Hi all,
I have a storage server that holds one million of images with well structured directory structure such as

/data/user1/2008/09/12/image1.jpg
/data/user1/2008/09/12/image2.jpg
/data/user2/2009/01/01/image1.jpg

I want to copy them to the /data2 directory in the same server on another disk partion.
I want to keep the directory structure and `chown` && `chmod` the directories and files,much like doing a `cp -rf /data /data2 && chown -R sysuser:sysuser /data2 && chmod -R 755 /data2`.

File::Find maybe an option.
Is there somebody who have some suggestions?

If I do a `cp -rf /data /data2 && chown -R sysuser:sysuser /data2 && chmod -R 755 /data2`,how much time maybe taken to finish the job?(The images are about one million in count and 250GB in size totally).

Thanks in advance.

2009-09-29

xufengnju