develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from September 2009

Re: beginner projects

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
September 8, 2009 19:37
Re: beginner projects
Message ID:
87ljkoetd2.fsf@quad.sysarch.com

  SB> Uri Guttman wrote:

  >> so are any of you up for this challenge?

  SB> Are there any specific areas within any of your projects that you'd like
  SB> to propose a help request more than others?

there is such a wide range that i can't list them here. simple things
like adding pod to modules (though that requires understanding what the
module does which can be tricky), adding tests, new features, etc.

  SB> Can you provide further details about your new module ideas?

the new module ideas i have are somewhat complex especially for newbies
since they are using event loops and related things. if you have any
exposure to gui programming with callbacks, that is a major plus.

  SB> Although I can't commit to a specific schedule, I have been
  SB> looking for a CPAN project to help with, just so I can integrate
  SB> myself into someone else's code, and get myself away from my own.

then check out file::slurp. i have 3 new features i want to add which
are very simple to code but need a solid battery of tests. and those
tests are best written in a table driven style (see Sort::Maker for an
example of that). i can work with you on the generic test driver and you
can add the individual test entries which is simple coding (mostly
cut/paste other entries) but you will gain in understanding test
coverage.

  SB> ...I'm very willing to accept all feedback, and can accept such
  SB> feedback humbly ( sometimes after a period of embarrassment and
  SB> self-loathing ).

there will be plenty of that! but acceptance and learning is the key. i
have worked with some who just couldn't handle the truth! :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri@stemsystems.com  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --
-----  Perl Code Review , Architecture, Development, Training, Support ------