develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from September 2009

Re: beginner projects

From:
Tim Bowden
Date:
September 7, 2009 22:33
Re: beginner projects
Message ID:
1252387967.4209.20.camel@mordor
On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 01:01 -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i saw the recent thread on beginner projects and thought i would toss in
> some ideas. i have many perl modules in various stages and they have
> many projects that need help. these projects vary in skill levels from
> very simple to fairly high level stuff. i have had many newbies offer to
> help but the biggest issue i have run into was their lack of
> committment. will they put in some regular (not a lot of time but
> steady) amount of work? how fast can they pick up the existing code and
> problems? how well with they adhere to my style and existing code? will
> they take my code critique and feedback in the proper way and learn from
> it? i don't even care if you know source control as i know it minimally
> and would edit in your code as i need by hand so that issue is moot.
>
> so are any of you up for this challenge? you will learn more and better
> perl than in almost any other way. the road is hard and tricky but also
> fun. check out my cpan modules at http://search.cpan.org/~uri/. most of
> then have todo lists of varying sizes with all sorts of projects. i also
> have new module ideas which are fairly fleshed out with design notes and
> such. another module i am using myself is not published but needs tests
> and documentation besides lots of improvements. adding those is a good
> entry level project but even writing good technical docs is a difficult
> skill. read my docs and see if you think you can get that level or even
> better, beat it (i know that can be done with little effort! :).
>
> as it has been said the best way to learn more perl is to read more
> perl. working on existing modules is a great way to do that. i will
> offer massive amounts of help but i expect a certain level of energy in
> return. it won't be easy for either of us but i am always open to find
> the right minions! :)
>
> thanx,
>
> uri

I'm giving this some serious consideration.  I've an itch I'm scratching
atm (initially driven by work requirements) that I'd like to see made
publicly available eventually (binary file converter; flexln/powerflex),
so I'd probably want to get that sorted first, but then this would be
very tempting indeed.

In trepidation and anticipation,
Tim Bowden