develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from September 2009

Perl's superior text parsing power

From:
Dave Tang
Date:
September 2, 2009 18:40
Subject:
Perl's superior text parsing power
Message ID:
op.uznqwnxe8cr96e@imb09-02635.imbpc.ad
Hi everybody,

I constantly read about Perl's powerful regular expression matching and
string manipulation operators, and how it is superior to other programming
languages in this aspect.

Furthermore, I read this in the wikipedia entry of Perl:

"The language provides powerful text processing facilities without the
arbitrary data length limits of many contemporary Unix tools,[4]
facilitating easy manipulation of text files."

My background is in biology, and learned Perl because people in my
laboratory used Perl. As such I don't have experience with any other
languages and core programming concepts elude me.

I wanted to ask why is Perl, in comparison to other programming languages,
so powerful in text processing? I read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl#Features, and that doesn't really
explain to me the answer. My motivation for this question is primarily due
to interest and if someday someone asks me how is Perl good for biology
(most biological data is stored as flat files).

Many thanks,

Dave