develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from February 2009

Re: perl deprecated functions and alike

From:
John W. Krahn
Date:
Re: perl deprecated functions and alike
Message ID:
499801CF.4020305@shaw.ca
Octavian Râsnita wrote:
> From: "John W. Krahn" <jwkrahn@shaw.ca>
>> Kevin wrote:
>>> Could someone please direct me to some web pages where I can go
>>> through all deprecated perl functions and/or ways of writing perl
>>> script?  It is not easy for me to figure out whether an on-line
>>> example is deprecated or not.  I once saw:
>>>
>>> @files = <$path_to_directory>
>>>
>>> on the web and found it worked perfectly, then kept using this way of
>>> writing my perl script.  But I was told yesterday such a script is
>>> deprecated now.
>>
>> AFAIK that is not deprecated.
>
> Can you explain how it works?

It is a file glob that returns a list of file names.  If
$path_to_directory contains '/path/to/file' then:

@files = <$path_to_directory>

is the same as saying:

@files = '/path/to/file'

Whereas if $path_to_directory contains '/path/to/*' then @files will be
assigned a list of non-hidden file names.

perldoc -f glob
perldoc File::Glob
perldoc File::DosGlob

John
--
Those people who think they know everything are a great
annoyance to those of us who do.        -- Isaac Asimov