develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from February 2009

Re: perl deprecated functions and alike

From:
John W. Krahn
Date:
Re: perl deprecated functions and alike
Message ID:
49975AB6.10206@shaw.ca
Kevin wrote:
> Could someone please direct me to some web pages where I can go through
> all deprecated perl functions and/or ways of writing perl script?  It is
> not easy for me to figure out whether an on-line example is deprecated or
> not.  I once saw:
>
> @files = <$path_to_directory>
>
> on the web and found it worked perfectly, then kept using this way of
> writing my perl script.  But I was told yesterday such a script is
> deprecated now.

AFAIK that is not deprecated.

> I searched the internet for awhile and did not find a
> good resource.  Please give me a couple of links if you know.

You search the documents that come with perl, for example:

$ perldoc -t perlfunc | grep -B 2 deprecated

         Use of "defined" on aggregates (hashes and arrays) is
         deprecated. It used to report whether memory for that aggregate
--

     do SUBROUTINE(LIST)
         This form of subroutine call is deprecated. See perlsub.

         In scalar context, returns the number of fields found and splits
         into the @_ array. Use of split in scalar context is deprecated,

John
--
Those people who think they know everything are a great
annoyance to those of us who do.        -- Isaac Asimov