develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from February 2009

Re: perl sort

From:
Chas. Owens
Date:
Re: perl sort
Message ID:
58ce48dc0902072005j25cab70fxcabb3b12ee49782f@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 22:41, Marion McCoskey <mckyyy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a retired programmer, and I haven't had a lot of trouble with the
> couple of thousand lines of Perl I have written, except remembering to
> always put in curly braces.  But I don't know anything about the Perl
> community.
>
> While looking at the documentation for the sort function, I noticed it
> complaining about the shortcomings of the quick sort.  I share that
> feeling and I have developed a single-buffered count sort that is
> faster than the quick sort and a lot more stable.
>
> It would have to be integrated into Perl differently than the quick
> sort, so it would probably be best to have both options.
>
> You can get details here:
>
> http://www.mcky.net
>
> I would be happy to have that algorithm incorporated into Perl, but I
> don't know who talk to.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
snip

Well, I would suggest taking this to the Perl Porters list*, this is a
list for people who are starting to learn Perl.  You could also write
a module implementing you algorithm either in pure Perl or in XS**
(the interface between ISO C and Perl) and upload it to CPAN***.

* http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=perl5-porters
** http://perldoc.perl.org/perlxs.html
*** www.cpan.org

--