develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from October 2008

Re: Help required in writing a script

From:
Chas. Owens
Date:
October 23, 2008 15:27
Re: Help required in writing a script
Message ID:
58ce48dc0810231527n2b2774aer90b93af7d71bac4c@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 18:07, Rob Dixon <rob.dixon@gmx.com> wrote:
snip
> In their endless search for money, Microsoft don't supply a C compiler,
> assembler, or linker with any version of Windows in the last twenty years or so.
> Also, because of several deliberate decisions to make people pay for as much as
> possible, it is difficult and awkward to get CPAN working on a Windows platform.
>
> Microsoft's 'nmake' is available for free, but some versions have been more
> compatible with standard modules than others, and in any case, as there is still
> no C compiler, on its own it is a solution only for pure Perl modules.
>
> Depending on what version of perl you have installed there may be tidier ways of
> installing modules on your machine. If you have ActivePerl then ppm is your
> answer, but there will still be no 'Expect' module available as it is very tied
> to the Unix architecture.
>
> You have reached a dead end I'm afraid, but remember that vanilla Net::SSH
> should work fine on your platform.
snip

You can actually get the Visual C/C++ compiler for free from Microsoft
(see the link in my last email).  The general answer, though, seems to
be to use Strawberry Perl instead of ActiveState Perl.  Strawberry
Perl comes with its own compiler and version of make.

--
Chas. Owens
wonkden.net