develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from May 2007

pass variable to another program

From:
Brian Volk
Date:
May 17, 2007 09:43
Subject:
pass variable to another program
Message ID:
7648373FC0AFC94CB162BF2146D3758A09736F84@hpmail.HPProducts.int
Hello,

Is there a way to pass a variable from one program to another?  I have a
web site that allows the user to set the time they would like to
download a file... The program uses the Linux "at" command and launches
another perl program that does the actual FTP download.  I would like to
pass a parm variable (email address) from the web site, captured in the
first perl program to the second perl program.  Is this possible?

First program uses this line to queue the job

system "/usr/bin/at $hour:$minute $tod today < /var/www/cgi-bin/images";

images is a text file containing the perl program that runs the FTP
download:

perl /var/www/cgi-bin/get_image_file.pl

 Is there a way to pass a variable from program 1 to program 2?

Thanks for your help!!

Brian Volk