develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from May 2007

Re: xterm fonts

From:
Mumia W..
Date:
May 16, 2007 09:13
Re: xterm fonts
Message ID:
464A4A8D.6000908@earthlink.net
On 05/15/2007 04:38 PM, Deboo ^ wrote:
> I installed a minimal X sysetm with fluxbox and xterm and two other
> terminal emulators: eterm and mrxvt. But all three of them give very
> small fonts. WIth xterm, I was able to get a reasonable font with the
> HUGE option in the right-click menu but I need bigger fonts. How do
> you exactly specify bigger fonts with xterm? I am aware it's possible
> with -f or -fn option but what comes after that? Say I wan a 10x20
> font? it doesn't work just by typing -f 10x20

I use rxvt, so I'd use this:
rxvt -fn 10x20

Back when I was using Eterm, I think I did this:
Eterm -F 10x20

> And how do you incorporate the custom xterm options in the default
> fluxbox menu? Is there something to edit the menu commands?

Fluxbox is based on blackbox, and blackbox menu file is in
~/.blackbox/menu, so you might have to edit ~/.fluxbox/menu. I don't
know of a menu editing utility for blackbox/fluxbox; just edit the text
menu file.

> Also how to use the dektop icons that DSL is able to use with fluxbox?
> I already installed fbdesk but it seems of no use at all or is it
> buggy?
>
> Regards,
> Deboo

I don't know anything about the icons.

For setting fonts in terminal emulators, read the associated manual
pages and the documentation in /usr/share/doc/<program>. You can get a
list of fonts that should work properly by typing "xlsfonts | less".

You probably don't need to modify the menu to get mrxvt to change its
look. If it's anything like rxvt, you can use X resources to configure it:

<FILE name="~/.Xdefaults">
mrxvt*font:10x20
</FILE>

Execute this before starting mrxvt: