develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from April 2007

Re: Uninstalling perl module

From:
yaron
Date:
Re: Uninstalling perl module
Message ID:
19419325.138011176616165747.JavaMail.root@store2a.brinkster.com
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I think that I understand you point.
Now I am starting to fear cpan installations.
Is there a chance that by doing a simple - naive cpan installation of a module I, potentially, can damage another installed module?

Best regards,

Yaron Kahanovitch
----- Original Message -----
From: "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
To: beginners@perl.org
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 3:22:44 AM (GMT+0200) Auto-Detected
Subject: Re: Uninstalling perl module

>>>>> "Xavier" == Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com> writes:

Xavier> Wouldn't the problem with file name collisions/rewrites potentially
Xavier> happen if packages were managed as in distros?

The problem is that there's no promise that package A and B from the CPAN
don't both install file C.  So any naive packager/installer will fail.
It takes *hand* tuning by the distro makers to get this to play well.