develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from April 2007

Re: Uninstalling perl module

From:
Xavier Noria
Date:
Re: Uninstalling perl module
Message ID:
9899D89C-DCBC-4C42-9525-0346F4BA0209@hashref.com
On Apr 13, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> No, because the CPAN.pm shell is an installer, not a packager.  It
> does not
> maintain a list of which files belong to which installations, and
> will happily
> let two installations both write to the same file.  This will be
> problematic
> when you want to remove one of those installations later.
>
> If you want package management, you'll have to use a distribution
> (like many
> Linux and BSD distributions) that have taken the extra time to
> "package" the
> CPAN distributions.  That has its own downsides, of course.

I am not familiar with module installations, let me ask a bit more to
understand those limitations.

Wouldn't the problem with file name collisions/rewrites potentially
happen if packages were managed as in distros? Or do they have some
sort of policy about unicity of files in packages? Besides that, if
CPAN.pm cached the MANIFESTs of modules installed by it (which if it
doesn't, I guess it would be a matter of programming), wouldn't that
suffice to offer uninstalling?

-- fxn