develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from April 2007

Re: Uninstalling perl module

From:
merlyn
Date:
Re: Uninstalling perl module
Message ID:
86zm5cczam.fsf@blue.stonehenge.com

yaron> I am using cpan to install modules.
yaron> From time to time I have to uninstall a module.
yaron> Untill now I did not find a tool to do it.
yaron> Is there an official tool for this?

No, because the CPAN.pm shell is an installer, not a packager.  It does not
maintain a list of which files belong to which installations, and will happily
let two installations both write to the same file.  This will be problematic
when you want to remove one of those installations later.

If you want package management, you'll have to use a distribution (like many
Linux and BSD distributions) that have taken the extra time to "package" the
CPAN distributions.  That has its own downsides, of course.