GIMP, Perl, and a graph pattern

From:
al
Date:
December 29, 2002 11:45
Subject:
GIMP, Perl, and a graph pattern
Message ID:
20021229160306.A7414@localhost.localdomain
Greetings,

Unlike most users of GIMP, I use the program for palaeographic
research on ancient texts; it's faster and more efficient than any
program I have tried (incl. Photoshop).  In working with ancient
writing systems on the photographic level, something that would be
very helpful is a transparent hash scheme, like graph paper, that can
be set over the photo.

After searching several places, I have not found anything like this
and would like to develop one in Perl.  My plan is to give the user a
choice of graph color (i.e., lighter for darker backgrounds and vice
versa).  The scale of the graph should be adjustable by the user and
should adapt to the zoom level in use.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about doing this?  I am very
new to Perl (<2 mo) and am very unsure of the programming strategy one
would take for this.  Thanks for any and all help.

Al Lukaszewski