RE: Using while ( -e $file )

From:
Scot
Date:
RE: Using while ( -e $file )
Message ID:
PAEEIJCHPFHEDADDGJFLEEPBCGAA.scotrn@cox.net

Seems like removing the quotes from
TEMPFILE and SIZE did the trick.

Thanks Kipp and Paul.
If anyone wants the full sub leme know off-list.

Scot

-----Original Message-----
From: Scot [mailto:scotrn@cox.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 4:32 PM
To: Beginners Perl
Subject: Using while ( -e $file )

Hi;

 Trying to write a file monitor for temp files using a while loop.
The problem is that the file test does not seem to be re-evaulated
each loop. If I delete the file after the loop has started it
drops into the. SHRUNK test. I would think it would drop out of the
while loop.

while ( -e $tfile ) {
      $SIZE = (-s "$TEMPFILE") /1024;
      if ( $SIZE > $PSIZE ) {
         $PSIZE="$SIZE";
         print "$TEMPFILE Size = $SIZE Kb\n";
      } elsif ( $SIZE < $PSIZE ) {
         print "$TEMPFILE SHRUNK! from $PSIZE to $SIZE  Kb\n";
	}
	sleep(10);