FW: Regex help!!

From:
Johnstone, Colin
Date:
FW: Regex help!!
Message ID:
1CE69FABC71E184C8991EBD0B31A9EE2933FD7@fpfexch1.central.det.win
Further to my previous message.

after fixing the ~= I get the following.

I know $screenOutput has a value because I see the html contained in the file Im reading on the screen its just not doing the substitution.

please advise.

Colin

-----Original Message-----
From: Johnstone, Colin
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 17:00
To: 'beginners@perl.org'
Subject: Regex help!!

Hi all,

Im reading in a file line by line and I want to look for the occurence of  this string
<!-- response here --> in $line. Is this the right way to do it. If it finds it it is to inser the value of $screenOutput in its place.

if($screenOutput ne ""){
my $responsePage = "";
open(IN, "<$locationResponsePageSkin") or die("Cannot open: $!");
while( my $line = <IN>){
$line ~= s/<!-- response here -->/$screenOutput/;
$responsePage .= $line;
}
close(IN);
print $responsePage;