RE: Help Please

From:
Mark Anderson
Date:
RE: Help Please
Message ID:
POENIDJMGJHIICHDIHNPGEPNCJAA.manderson@gcamail.com
This code will read the entire file into the array.  This works fine for
SMALL files.  When you get into large files, the program will take up more
RAM than the file takes on disk.

You also probably won't eliminate your loops.  They may no longer be while
loops, but you will likely still need to loop through the data in the array
just like you were in the file.

				/\/\ark

-----Original Message-----
From: Josef E. Galea [mailto:josefg@maltanet.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 2:15 PM
To: Ron Powell
Cc: beginners@perl.org
Subject: Re: Help Please

RE: Help PleaseYep it reads each line in an array location i.e. in array
location 0 it reads the first line, in array location 1 the second line
etc...

The complete code is:

$file = "your text file name";
open (FILE, "$file");
@contents = <FILE>;
close (FILE);

This is all the code, feel free to use it. This means that $contents[0] =
line 1
$contents[1] = line 2
$contents[2] = line 3