Re: authentication and user management

From:
bob ackerman
Date:
Re: authentication and user management
Message ID:
EAE4CCD9-5879-11D6-9AC6-003065428126@pacbell.net

On Thursday, April 25, 2002, at 10:58  AM, Mat Harrison wrote:

> i am building a perl/cookie members system for my site using SSI to check
> if
> a cookie is present (set at login), if not, to redirect to an error page.
> This is my plan:
>

> 1. login page. check that the username and password match that in the
> database.
> 2. if yes then set a cookie with the users's ID from the database
> 3. when the restricted page is called then the script attempts to retrieve
> the cookie.
>
> How do i say if ($cookievalue eq "" || cookie does not exist){
> 				redirect to an error page
> 			}
>
> I know how to retrieve a cookie and redirect but how do i get the script
> tell the difference between an incorrect cookie value (one that doesn't
> match any IDs in the database) and no cookie at all.

when you ask for a cookie for a given key, if it doesn't exist it will be
empty.
as in code above. I don't think you want to worry about the cookie
existing with an empty value.
That wouldn't be a valid login.
Then if the cookie exists, you could do a db query to make sure the id is
actually in the database.