authentication and user management

From:
Mat Harrison
Date:
April 25, 2002 10:58
Subject:
authentication and user management
Message ID:
GCEKIBMFLMFBOMGKMEFAOEBNCAAA.mat.harris@genestate.com
i am building a perl/cookie members system for my site using SSI to check if
a cookie is present (set at login), if not, to redirect to an error page.
This is my plan:

1. login page. check that the username and password match that in the
database.
2. if yes then set a cookie with the users's ID from the database
3. when the restricted page is called then the script attempts to retrieve
the cookie.

How do i say if ($cookievalue eq "" || cookie does not exist){
				redirect to an error page
			}

I know how to retrieve a cookie and redirect but how do i get the script to
tell the difference between an incorrect cookie value (one that doesn't
match any IDs in the database) and no cookie at all.

If anyone can suggest anything about the cookies or any tips on this subject
in general please help

Thanks in Advance

--
Matthew Harrison