develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2002

time limit???

From:
Alberto Santana
Date:
March 29, 2002 09:51
Subject:
time limit???
Message ID:
3CA4A969.60DA5D0C@qtp.ufl.edu
Hi guys,

Suppose I have a Perl script (called from a crontab file) that will,
basically, do something like this:

$out=`lynx -dump http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=beginners`;
open(OUT,">out");
print OUT $out;
close(OUT);
$send_it=`mail me\@here.com<out`;

OK, here comes the problem. What if the web page is down? lynx will
keep trying for a while until it gives up or something.
Is it possible to impose a time limit, like: execute $out, wait for
45 seconds, if there was no response (lynx did not dump), exit(0);

I'll appreciate your help.
cheers,
                                                         BEST WISHES,
                                                         Alberto

          MMM           \|/            www            __^__
         (o o)          @ @           (O-O)          /(o o)\
| Alberto Santana                                                   |
| Ph.D. Student                          Email: santana@qtp.ufl.edu |
| University of Florida                  Phone: (352) 392-3010      |
| Quantum Theory Project                 Home: (352) 379-9938       |
| 2301 NPB # 92, P.O. Box 118435         Fax: (352) 392-8722        |
| Gainesville, Fl 32611-8435        http://www.qtp.ufl.edu/~santana |