develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2002

Array question...

From:
Michael D. Risser
Date:
March 28, 2002 09:00
Subject:
Array question...
Message ID:
200203281354.g2SDsi304425@defiant.visionpro.com
OK here's the problem:

I have an array that may or may not have been assigned to, if it has been
assigned to I need to do one thing, otherwise I need to do something else.

I've tried many variations, but I'm having trouble determining if it has been
assigned to.

if(undef @myArray) {
    # Do thing1
} elsif(!undef @myArray) {
    # Do thing2
}

and

if ($myArray[0] ne "") {
    # thing1
} else {
    # thing2
}

as well as a few other variations. Printing out the array BEFORE the if block
shows nothing in the array, yet it does thing1.

After trying many different methods, I am totally lost, please help me!

TIA