develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2002

Re: painful but bonehead question

From:
John W. Krahn
Date:
March 5, 2002 10:49
Re: painful but bonehead question
Message ID:
3C85132C.4CFAE747@acm.org
Dru Levin wrote:

> I am a newbie trying to write Perl scripts in Linux environment:
>
> question is, why is Perl evaluating my " (quotes) as ? (question marks) ? ,
> i.e. like in a simple string " blah blah blah"

It could be that the program you are using to create the file is not
using ASCII quotation marks (ASCII character 34) but some other
character (i.e. "smart quotes")

> do I have to be in certain shell if using a Linux-based environment. It
> works fine on my NT box with basic command line
>
> perl -w <script file>.

In Linux it will work with any shell.

man perlrun

John