develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2002

querying DNS

From:
William.Ampeh
Date:
March 5, 2002 07:23
Subject:
querying DNS
Message ID:
OF25FA5762.771E8C5A-ON85256B73.0053681F@frb.gov
Using PERL, how do I dump all the DNS entries of a nameserver?

REASON:
Given a set of host IPS, I want to come up with a table of IP vrs hostname.
I am currently in a DNS environment, so /etc/hosts is of no use.  Instead
of querying DNS for each IP (using nslookup), I want to query the DNS
server once, and then use the output to obtain what I want.

The language of implementation is PERL, so if anyone has a legacy script
they will want to share with me, I will appreciate it.  Also any pointers
will be appreciated.

William Ampeh (x3939)
Federal Reserve Board