develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2002

Re: reading a file line by line

From:
Hernan Freschi
Date:
March 4, 2002 23:30
Re: reading a file line by line
Message ID:
20020305010206.18248.qmail@onion.perl.org
There's a simpler way, if you  specify the file from the command line (as in
script.pl file) you can do

while (<>) {
    last if /search test/;
    #do something
}

in fact, you can make a cat-like script like this:

while (<>) {
    print;
}
<> is the diamond operator, and it's the filehandle for standard input (be
it keyboard, pipe or file).

Hernan Freschi