develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2002

send email and upload file

From:
Debbie McNerney
Date:
March 4, 2002 11:27
Subject:
send email and upload file
Message ID:
B8A934E4.2FC2%debbie.mcnerney@news-jrnl.com
Hello

My apologies to everyone but this list does say 'beginners'. My problem...I
am trying to modify  a script that a co-worker wrote for us. He no longer
works here.

The snippets of the script below

#!/usr/bin/perl

 BEGIN {
$email_addresses = "blah\@blah.com, blahblah\blah.com,etc";

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------
#lots more stuff goes in here....

&Email_User;

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------
#lots more stuff goes in here....

sub Email_User {
    $sj="-s \"MyDirectory. file transfers\"";
    system("mail $sj " . "$email_addresses" . " < ../MyDirectory/uploads/"
"$descrip");
    }
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------

The html form that this script refers to, is very simple. It allows a user
to fill out pertinent info about a file; Upload the file; and  emails the
contents of the form, along with a link to the uploaded file (resides on our
web server) to whoever I put into the
$email_addresses = "blah\@blah.com, blahblah\blah.com,etc";
line.

My modification is this...
I want to change the html form to included a customized email that can be
filled in by the user. I want THAT email address used instead of the
pre-filled in emails that were previously put into the $email_address area.

I do not know enough about Perl to have it point to that line on the form
for the email address. My ultimate goal would be to CC: to another email. We
are a newspaper and the 'files' would be ad proofs to customers. the CC:
would go to ad reps to let them know/see that a proof was delivered.

I have reference books and I am learning but need some direction. This seems
like a simple thing to do. Can someone help?
--
Debbie McNerney, Systems Dept.
The News-Journal Corp.®