develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2002

Re: cygwin/activestate/linux

From:
Dave K
Date:
March 3, 2002 20:55
Re: cygwin/activestate/linux
Message ID:
20020304045521.49595.qmail@onion.perl.org
I have found ActiveState to be the 'easiest' in most cases but when I want
to do something fun or interesting I often find the module that I need is
not available for the ActiveState distribution. Cygwin is fun, but CPAN is
sometimes frustrating though it is sometime the only place to get a required
module (CPAN is infact straight forward I just have not taken the time to
get proficient with it). So ... I opted to do both (but it turned out to be
not too complicated!). At first I wrote a begin block to modify the @INC
array to direct perl to the ActiveState lib when required. Then I wrote a
simple package that did the same thing (and returned a true value). Not
quite the best of both worlds, but closer.