develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2002

Sockets and NNTP

From:
Hernan Freschi
Date:
March 3, 2002 05:40
Subject:
Sockets and NNTP
Message ID:
20020303011154.17691.qmail@onion.perl.org
Hello everyone, I have a little problem.

I wrote a little script to get the newsgroup list from a newsserver. It
opens a socket, connects to it, writes "LIST\n" and does while (<SOCKET>)
'till /^\./.
The problem is that, it works only with some servers. On others, it just
keeps waiting for input (looks like). For example, it works on
nntp.perl.org, but not on news.microsoft.com.
I tried \r\f instead of \n but it doesn't work either.
News:NNTPClient is NOT an option (or any other module for the matter).

Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Hernan Freschi