problems after upgraded perl

From:
Chan, Raymond
Date:
February 28, 2002 21:02
Subject:
problems after upgraded perl
Message ID:
08AEBBCD3A8DD31196850090275513C701F114D4@cnhon1r2.i.wcom.com.hk
Dear All,

I have installed perl 5.004, DBI and MySQL-DBD on a Linux server.
All the web-based MySQL systems are running properly.
Since I have to develop web-based oracle system, I need to install
oracle-DBD.
But when I tried to install oracle-DBD, it said that I need to have newer
version of DBI.
When I tried to install DBI 1.21, it said that I need to have Perl
5.005.003.
Finally, I successfully installed Perl 5.005.03.

Now, the problem is that the old perl 5.004 was installed in
/usr/local/bin/perl.
But I installed the new version 5.005.03 in /usr/bin/perl. For those
existing MySQL systems,
if I changed the compiler from #!/usr/local/bin/perl' to '#!/usr/bin/perl,
I got internal server error messages. If I still use #!/usr/local/bin/perl
as the compiler,
they can still be running properly. I want to ask :

1. can I just upgrade the perl version to 5.005.03 and keep the existing
    libarary, DBI, MySQL-DBD and everything ?
    If yes, should I just reinstall it and overwrite the old verion
'/usr/local/bin/perl' ?

2. if no, can I install newer DBI 1.21 and oracle-DBD for the new perl
5.005.03 to use
   so that when I develop oracle systems in the future, use the new perl
#!/usr/bin/perl.
   But for those existing MySQL systems, just keep using the old perl
#!/usr/local/bin/perl ?
   But if I install newer DBI 1.21, will it affect the library of the
existing MySQL-DBD ?
   That is, can it be like this :

 old perl 5.004 -> /usr/local/bin/perl -> old DBI -> MySQL-DBD -> MySQL
systems
 new perl 5.005.03 -> /usr/bin/perl -> new DBI 1.21 -> Oracle-DBD -> Oracle
systems

 or two versions of perl must be sharing the same set of DBI library ? Thank
you very much!

Regards,
Raymond