Looping Code ?

From:
gkhgkh
Date:
February 27, 2002 13:14
Subject:
Looping Code ?
Message ID:
20020227211429.ZTQT1214.rwcrmhc54.attbi.com@rwcrwbc55
What I am trying to do is get a total of line that
matches a specific criteria and when it stops matching
return the total to variable. If I have the following
files:
file1:                           file2:
$line[1] =                          $field[0]
AR                                  AR
AR                                  ACCT
AR
ACCT
ACCT
ACCT
ACCT

and use the following:
                if ($line[1] = (/^:$field[0]/)) {
                 $total = $count++;}

I want $total for AR to = 3 and $total for ACCT = 4.

When I run it I get
1
2
3