Re: cygwin/activestate/linux

From:
Brett W. McCoy
Date:
Re: cygwin/activestate/linux
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.43.0202271315380.22349-100000@chapelperilous.net
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Tyler Cruickshank wrote:

> Ive been using perl for a year or so on various platforms (Sun/UNIX,
> linux, NT-cygwin, Active State).  Do people recommend ActiveState over
> cygwin for the NT system - how about ActiveState on Linux?  Not being a
> "system" guru Id like to use the simplist environment on which to add
> modules and run perl.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

I prefer the cygwin Perl myself on NT/2k, because I can easily grab stuff
from CPAN and build the modules as needed, just like I can under Unix,
without needing VC++ & nmake, and the system calls act more like they do
under Unix.  Of course, I don't think you can use CygWin's Perl with IIS
or even Apache (unless you build Apache under Cygwin), but I don't do web
stuff under Windows, so it isn't crucial there.

Never used ActiveState under Linux, so I can't speak for that.  Most
version of Linux (and for that matter, most recent versions of any flavor
of Unix, including Solaris) now come standard with Perl, so I've never
needed to install anything other than to upgrade to the next version.

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
Think lucky. If you fall in a pond, check your pockets for fish.
		-- Darrell Royal