ping

From:
Lanceo
Date:
February 22, 2002 01:19
Subject:
ping
Message ID:
20020222091856.76755.qmail@onion.perl.org
Hi,

I am having difficulty getting the Net::Ping module to work properly.  I am
using ActivePerl 5.6.1.631 on a win32 platform.  I can ping a server in a
dos prompt ok, but when I try to get the Perl Net::Ping to work it always
returns a failure.  It seems to ponder over pinging the host for a couple of
seconds, and then return a zero as a result, which means that it could not
reach the host, if my interpretation of the docs is correct.

Here is the snippet in question:

 my ($pingThing, $host, $pingResult);
 $host = 'www.google.com';
  $pingThing = Net::Ping->new("tcp", 1);
  $pingResult = $pingThing->ping($host);

  print "$pingResult\n";
 if($pingResult == 1){print "$host is alive.\n";}
 else{print "$host could not be pinged\n";}

 $pingThing->close();

Am I doing something wrong here, or do I need some other module that I am
unaware of?  I find this sort of bizarre, as I have LWP doing a successful
page fetch, so the module can obviously access the web.

---