Renaming files on the server

From:
Troy May
Date:
February 7, 2002 06:21
Subject:
Renaming files on the server
Message ID:
LOBBINEJDCHCGAJGGIFCIEHJDEAA.tmay@sierrasoho.org
Hello all,

My friend (who doesn't English too well yet) has been emailing me asking
about a guestbook he made.  It sounds like he wants to archive his message
files with a certain format and back them up automatically everyday.  Here's
his last email to me:

"i want to store all those message everyday from that dat file to another
file. or simply rename the dat file to a html or shtml file with current
date everyday. so that i can make archives or history of messages. but i
want to save all these messages with current date everyday automatically.
please tell me coding of renaming a dat file into a different file
formate(i.e. html/shtml)in perl. i want the file to be saved as this
following format [mess(currentdate).html] . and i don't know the coding of
that."

So it sounds like he wants to take a .txt file or something and rename it to
"mess(date).html" everyday automatically by using Perl.  What's the easiest
way of doing this?

Any ideas?