why doesn't this error

From:
Alex Harris
Date:
February 1, 2002 08:06
Subject:
why doesn't this error
Message ID:
F205xtniFKULPEhGD1X00008bb2@hotmail.com
First, I read perldoc -f exec() and did as follows:

exec "rsh $plant /u1/bin/forkit 'work.pl'" or
       print STDERR "Couldn't fork it.\n $!\n";

BUT, even though the file it should be exec - ing 'work.pl' does NOT exist
on the remote system, the error doesn't get kicked off.  The only error I've
gotten it to register is if $plant is invalid.  Any ideas?