ppm, firewall, and a ?

From:
McCormick, Rob E
Date:
January 30, 2002 16:44
Subject:
ppm, firewall, and a ?
Message ID:
854F7121CC2BD211856000805FE6EBD20B20C0D3@us4n49.glaxo.com
gang,

Tried using ppm:

# PPM> install --location=http://www.roth.net/perl/packages Win32-AdminMisc
Install package 'Win32-AdminMisc?' (y/N): y
Installing package 'Win32-AdminMisc'...
Error installing package 'Win32-AdminMisc': Could not locate a PPD file for
package Win32-AdminMisc

OK, checked out:
# ppm with proxy/firewall;
http://aspn.activestate.com//ASPN/Reference/Products/ActivePerl/faq/ActivePe
rl-faq2.html#ppm_and_proxies

Tried setting the env variables as noted:

HTTP_proxy
HTTP_proxy_user
HTTP_proxy_pass (makes me nervous seeing my password in the clear like
that....!)

Looks like I need to pursue a conversation with the firewall/proxy admin
staff.  Not certain what to ask.  Do I basically need to id what port allows
incoming <insert_protocol_here?>  Is it http?  ftp? or something else?

ppm needs a port that will allow incoming what....?  I just need to
understand better so I can ask...

Rob