RE: How to abut two files?

From:
Wagner-David
Date:
RE: How to abut two files?
Message ID:
113A7A0D1F47D511B92E00D0B7E03DAB0187BA94@pmail02.vikingfreight.com
	Yes. You should be able to accomplish the task.  You should be able to take data either side by side or reading into an array and putting back out as x by y rows with minimum amount of work.

Wags ;) ps I looking for more than confirmation (code?), please let the list know.

-----Original Message-----
From: Catherine L Harris [mailto:charris@bu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 15:18
To: beginners@perl.org
Subject: How to abut two files?

One of the most common needs in data analysis is to "abut" two files.  This
means to create a single file by horizontally pasting two files together.

So: starting with two files each with, say, 4 columns and 4 rows, the result
is one file with 8 columns and 4 rows.

For a couple decades now I've relied on Gary Perlman's "stat" utilities
(specfically, the abut program) to do this in a unix environment.

How to do it on a macintosh?  I'd like to avoid having to use a program like
microsoft excel.  I'm wondering if perl has the ability to abut two files.
I've downloaded perl, but before trying to master it, I'm hoping someone
knowledgeable would be willing to tell me if (and how) perl can easily abut
two files.

Thanks a million for advice,
Cathy