How to abut two files?

From:
Catherine L Harris
Date:
January 30, 2002 15:54
Subject:
How to abut two files?
Message ID:
B87DE96B.D56%charris@bu.edu
One of the most common needs in data analysis is to "abut" two files.  This
means to create a single file by horizontally pasting two files together.

So: starting with two files each with, say, 4 columns and 4 rows, the result
is one file with 8 columns and 4 rows.

For a couple decades now I've relied on Gary Perlman's "stat" utilities
(specfically, the abut program) to do this in a unix environment.

How to do it on a macintosh?  I'd like to avoid having to use a program like
microsoft excel.  I'm wondering if perl has the ability to abut two files.
I've downloaded perl, but before trying to master it, I'm hoping someone
knowledgeable would be willing to tell me if (and how) perl can easily abut
two files.

Thanks a million for advice,
Cathy