Thumbnail images on-the-fly

From:
Scott R. Godin
Date:
January 16, 2002 08:54
Subject:
Thumbnail images on-the-fly
Message ID:
webmaster-9CB34C.05242716012002@onion.valueclick.com
I've got an idea kicking around in my head ..

having a web-directory that can have image files added to it, taken
away, or prefaced with "." to have them be ignored temporarily without
removing them.

initial run of the .cgi indexes the directory into a local database
file, and creates thumbnails of each image in the directory (havn't
decided whether they should be variable size yet, as I'm not certain
about the tool I'd need to use for this)

future runs of the .cgi double check the directory, match it against the
database and create further thumbnails if necessary, or update the db to
reflect images no longer listed, or marked with . as in "do not display"

upon updating, it then provides an html-page with the thumbnails laid
out in a table for easy clicking by the user.

This is pretty straightforward, and I'm sure it's been done in the past.

What I'm looking for is a bit of a shove in the right direction from
those of you who have walked this path before.. I've never worked with
the graphical Perl modules yet, and am really unfamiliar with which
tools (i.e. modules) would be the most elegant and efficient for a job
like this.

any pointers? I'm happy to toddle off and download and read my face off
-- that's not a problem.. I'd just like to have some indication on which
direction to start walking. :-)

print pack "H*", "4a75737420416e6f74686572204d61635065726c204861636b65722c0d";
--
Scott R. Godin            | e-mail : webmaster@webdragon.net
Laughing Dragon Services  |    web : http://www.webdragon.net/