Web host interactivity question

From:
Anderson, Carlin
Date:
January 8, 2002 05:50
Subject:
Web host interactivity question
Message ID:
3B32C9D26471D411A9C4000629D537FE01DCD5F4@GLIJAXNT02
Please respond to me directly as well as I have limited list access.

I need to know if the following scenario is possible before I put forth the
effort.

I am running on a Sun server.

1.  Read a database for packages which need tracking/delivery information.
2.  format an HTML URL request based on carrier specifics.
3.  Send the URL request to the carrier's online servers (UPS, fedex for
example)
4.  Receive back the page with package tracking information
5.  Parse the page contents for the tags which will give me the tracking
information I need.
6.  Update the database with the tracking information
7.  Go to step 1 and process the next package.

I know I can do steps 1,2,6,7, and probably step 5, but am unsure about
steps 3 and 4.

Can anyone provide me feedback or examples?   Thanks

Carlin Anderson
Sr. Software Engineer
APL Direct Logistics
1301 Riverplace Blvd, Suite 530
Jacksonville, FL  32207
904-858-4754           direct
904-616-6542           cell phone, pager
Carlin.Anderson@GATXelogistics.com
Carlin_Anderson@apl.com