develooper Front page | perl.beginners.cgi | Postings from September 2012

Re: cgi development environment

From:
David Dorward
Date:
September 19, 2012 08:09
Re: cgi development environment
Message ID:
1022F38B-3C85-4B56-A827-0553EDCEF3AC@dorward.me.uk
On 18 Sep 2012, at 13:34, Chris Stinemetz <chrisstinemetz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am very interested in cgi scripting. I have only used php for web
> development in the past.

CGI or Perl? For a long time CGI with Perl was a popular combination so there are a lot of documents which conflate the two.

It is possible to do CGI programming in PHP (which you already know), but PSGI[1] is the flavour du jour for server side web programming with Perl.

CGI is still a plausible option though. It has the benefit of simplicity (but isn't the most efficient option).

[1] http://plackperl.org/

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk