develooper Front page | perl.artistic2 | Postings from April 2006

Re: reconciling 4(c)ii with 13

From:
Allison Randal
Date:
April 28, 2006 08:48
Re: reconciling 4(c)ii with 13
Message ID:
F85E42FE-17FA-4855-97F1-A2B0B6A89F24@perl.org
On Apr 26, 2006, at 2:38, mock wrote:

> Can't I do an end run around section 13, by picking an alternate
> license that
> meets 4(c)ii but doesn't have the patent stuff from section 13?
> For example
> GPL v2.

If anyone did start patent litigation against one of the Perl users
(and we'd really prefer they don't), and triggered  section 13, then
their right to redistribute under 4(c)(ii) is revoked along with the
rest of the license.

You have to have copyright (because you own the package or because
someone granted rights to you) before you can distribute to anyone.

Allison