develooper Front page | perl.artistic2 | Postings from April 2006

Re: Does masquerading conflict with artistic control?

From:
Allison Randal
Date:
April 29, 2006 12:58
Re: Does masquerading conflict with artistic control?
Message ID:
60208A48-B9E8-4E2A-87A5-06E87253A2E9@perl.org
On Apr 28, 2006, at 16:45, Charles Bailey wrote:
> On 4/28/06, Allison Randal <allison@wgz.org> wrote: On Apr 26,
> 2006, at 21:45, Charles Bailey wrote:
>
>> If someone were maliciously installing hacked versions of Perl on
>> people's machines against their will, that would fall into a
>> completely different legal category, and isn't something for a
>> license to address.
>
> IANAL, but I don't think this is necessarily true.  If you click
> 'OK' when the Sony DRM installer asks, the fact that it sneaks in a
> buggy rootkit doesn't put it into a different legal category than
> if it installed a well-designed userspace agent.

I meant different in the sense that malicious hacking is criminal
behavior even ignoring any question of license, and it's more
appropriate to deal with the problem there. (The Sony DRM installer
is yet another different case.)

Another good place to deal with the problem is through trust
relationships. Sites like SourceForge are useful because they collect
a bunch of software together, but they're also useful because you can
see other users' comments on the software, and because SF has a
policy of removing malicious software.

> Since the AL explicitly grants anyone the right to distribute the
> Package, as long as they say they're doing it, and implicitly (by
> making 4(b) one of several options) grants the right to represent
> whatever you distribute as the Package, I'm not sure how trademark
> helps you.

Think of it like the Apple logo on the back of an iPod. It's a sign
of a reliable source. If someone shipped something that looks like an
iPod without the logo, you'd know it wasn't really an iPod, and you
wouldn't trust it as much. If someone put the logo on cheap knock-
offs without Apple's permission (pretending to be the real thing),
Apple can make them stop. Apple doesn't have the right to prevent
people from making small, rectangular, white MP3 players, but the
trademark gives them a tool to help keep their users from getting
tricked by fakes.

> My only point was that the warranty the AL presumably meant to
> disclaim was an "expressed" warranty (i.e. one stated), rather than
> an "express" warranty ( i.e. a quick one).  The error is so common,
> though, that I expect "express warranty" is now considered as a
> term of art identical in meaning to "expressed warranty".  Again, a
> trivium.

Ah, right, then I misunderstood the comment. Actually, "express" as
an adjective means "stated" too. As in "express wish" or "express
purpose". Not common in modern colloquial usage, but legal language
tends to hang on to older meanings longer. (The etymology of
"express" is fascinating, and hinges around people thinking "express
train" meant it was fast, when it really meant the train was
dedicated to a special purpose. Eventually "fast" became the primary
meaning.)

Allison