develooper Front page | perl.artistic2 | Postings from April 2006

upstream license compatibility (was Re: compilation copyright)

From:
Allison Randal
Date:
April 28, 2006 16:54
Subject:
upstream license compatibility (was Re: compilation copyright)
Message ID:
660276FF-065C-498A-8B44-ED94392D1284@wgz.org
On Apr 26, 2006, at 18:40, C. Garrett Goebel wrote:

> Audrey Tang's recent blog entry mentions her decision to move Pugs
> away
> from Artistic 2 licensing because of Artistic 2 compilation copyright
> licensing conflicts between inclusion of Pugs source into Perl6/
> Artistic2
> and Pugs's inclusion of LGPL code in its source tree.

Clarification: Pugs isn't moving away from Artistic 2 licensing and
compilation copyright has nothing to do with licensing compatibility.
There was a good bit of confusion there for a few days, but we sorted
it out.

> Q1: Could you explain why the inclusion of LGPL code into an otherwise
> Artistic2 source tree is legally dangerous?

This isn't specific to the Artistic License (in any version), it's a
general legal principle. You can't give away rights you don't have. So:

1) You can include a free software package in another free software
package with the same license.

2) You can include a free software package in another free software
package with a more restrictive license (because you're giving away
fewer rights than they gave you).

3) You can't include a free software package in another free software
package with a less restrictive license (because you would be giving
away rights that they never gave you).

Artistic 2 is less restrictive than LGPL, so that particular
combination falls under 3. But, Artistic 2 code can link to LGPL
code, which is all you need in most cases.

Allison