develooper Front page | perl.agents | Postings from April 2005

Re: Scooby status update

From:
Paul Barry
Date:
April 13, 2005 01:47
Re: Scooby status update
Message ID:
1113381514.5129.6.camel@localhost.localdomain
On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 21:24 -0700, shakil wrote:
> hmmmm
>
> "Paul Barry" <paul.barry@itcarlow.ie> wrote in message
> > For more details, please visit the
> > Scooby website at:
> >
> >     http://glasnost.itcarlow.ie/~scooby/

Hmmmm, indeed.

A bit of a status update on Scooby.  It really only works reliably under
5.6.1 of Perl.  There turned out to be too many module
dependencies/breakages when Perl got updated, and I've not had the time
to work out what has to happen to Scooby and its 3rd party modules to
fix things - I have tried Scooby with a bunch of the latest Perls, but
it breaks in a number of places (mainly the 3rd party modules break or
cause Scooby to break).  In summary, Scooby was created to test the
assumption that a debugger-type interface could be used to access a
programs "state" prior to relocation.  The project showed that this was
the case.  For my part, I actually think the Agent Perl technology
offers a better platform to build on (that's why I put it in my first
book - I was hoping it would draw attention to the technology and help
it catch on).

Paul.

--
Paul Barry, Lecturer, Department of Computing and Networking,
Institute of Technology, Carlow, Kilkenny Road, Carlow, Ireland.