develooper Front page | perl.agents | Postings from June 2003

New mobile agent building modules for Perl

From:
Paul Barry
Date:
June 3, 2003 09:39
Subject:
New mobile agent building modules for Perl
Message ID:
3EDCCA55.5090602@itcarlow.ie

Hi all!

Ok - swallows hard - here goes.

I've spent the last little while working on a new mobile agent system
for Perl.  Called "Scooby", it provides for reliable and secure
(authenticated and encrypted) transportation of "strongish" mobile
agents from computer to computer.  For more details, please visit the
Scooby website at:

    http://glasnost.itcarlow.ie/~scooby/

and read the Installation/Configuration instructions, in addition to
"The Scooby Guide", which is a programmers guide for mobile agent
writers (available as a PDF).  The software can also be downloaded from
here (it will be added to CPAN soon).

Note that Scooby has some heavy module requirements (mainly brought
about by the use of the Crypt::RSA module, which has LOADS of prereqs).
  You will also need to have MySQL running to support the Key Server.
At the moment, it ONLY works with 5.6.1 of Perl, as anything else has
given me problems.  (My 5.8.0 installation of Perl has problems with
Crypt::RSA, unfortunately).

At the moment, I'd classify the maturity of this code as "beta".

Have fun!  And, of course, let me know what you think.

Paul.

--
Paul Barry, Institute of Technology, Kilkenny Road, Carlow, Ireland.
E-mail: paul.barry@itcarlow.ie   Telephone: +353+59+9170400.