develooper Front page | perl.advocacy | Postings from April 2008

RE: "NASA Uses Python"

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
April 5, 2008 07:20
RE: "NASA Uses Python"
Message ID:
01c101c89728$27354e30$759fea90$@com
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> If you go to http://www.python.org/ you'll see at the top-right corner
> a picture of an astronaut with the title "NASA uses Python...". Now,
> to the layman or beginner it might sound more impressive, but let's
> get our facts straight.

If you look closely you can see that they are just pointing to one of the
many Python success stories on their site:

  http://www.python.org/about/success/

> However, I'd still like to see this removed from the Python homepage,
> because it's a statement that is misleading to the uninitiated and
> lacks integrity. I thought about consulting you people on my own turf
> about the best course of action from here.

I completely disagree with you there. I think this is legitimate
information on their page, even backed up with a full write-up of the
application. Please leave them alone!

If you want to advocate Perl, then you should try to get more Perl
success stories published, not try to suppress other languages
successes. Here is a similar list of stories for Perl:

  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/perl/news/success_stories.html

But look at how many stories were published each year:

  1999 -  4
  2000 - 11
  2001 -  4
  2002 -  9
  2003 -  4
  2004 -  2
  2005 - none
  2006 - none
  2007 - none
  2008 -  ?

This is the real problem, not that Python can point to a NASA project
that uses Python.

Cheers,
-Jan

PS: Yes, I don't know the years the individual Python stories were
published, so they may actually be seeing the same trend. But that
is besides the point I was trying to make.