develooper Front page | perl.wxperl.users | Postings from July 2008

Running demo.pl (or any other wxPerl app) on OS X 4.11

From:
Don Hutton
Date:
July 17, 2008 14:33
Subject:
Running demo.pl (or any other wxPerl app) on OS X 4.11
Message ID:
A1DEB2D7-CB4A-4F54-92E4-5703D4F6BEB7@ca.inter.net
I've just found the demo.pl file that comes with the OS X developer
DVD and the wxWidgets environment that it implies seems to be
something that I could really make us of.  I have a ton of PERL
functionality that I'd really like to port to OS X as more and more
of my clients are on this platform.

However, when I try and run demo.pl or any of the wxWidges PERL
scripts that I've found on-line all i get is a window that I then
cannot focus on nor select in any way.  There doesn't seem to be any
documentation anywhere as how to *invoke* these widgets.  There is
plenty on how to write the code (and it all seems very
straightforward) but nothing on the step after that: running it.

I'm trying to invoke it by opening a "terminal" window running zsh
and typing

	perl demo.pl

or

	perl demo.pl &

which only results in the frustrating display of a bunch of goodies
that I then cannot touch.  What's the missing piece?  Does this have
to be run though X11?  Do I need to install another script
interpreter besides "perl" and run that instead?  "wxperl demo.pl"?
Even the name of the technology that has to be used would be a big help.

/Don

-------

There is no dog nobler than the Hot Dog; for only it feeds the hand
that bites it.