develooper Front page | perl.sdl.devel | Postings from August 2013

Re: SDL2 + POGL2 + PDL confluence

From:
Mason James
Date:
August 18, 2013 04:33
Re: SDL2 + POGL2 + PDL confluence
Message ID:
30C799FF-5BE8-4C95-9754-D8A07C94EE4C@kohaaloha.com

On 2013-08-17, at 1:37 AM, Chris Marshall wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Kartik Thakore
> <thakore.kartik@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am definitely interested in helping with this. Perhaps we should make a
>> test module that tests just these integration.
>>
>> It will get latest branches of the 3 projects and run tests.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I'm glad to see the interest but most of the base work
> is still needing to be done as far as the OpenGL stuff.
> We need modern OpenGL support in POGL before a lot of
> the specific development can occur.
>
> However, one important piece that could be investigated
> is how we could make conversion between SDL2 objects
> and PDL objects work.  Ideally we could have a fast
> conversion to take a piddle and use it for an SDL2 surface
> or texture or whatever and similarly for the other direction.
>
> Currently, the approach used for SDL is to create the PDL
> object with the right sized data segment and then pass that
> to SDL to make a surface from that.  I'm not sure what would
> work for SDL2 stuff.
>
> --Chris

hi Chris,

i was looking at elmex's construder code recently, and noticed that the passing of an SDL surface to OpenGL was done by dumping the SDL surface to a BMP temp file (via File::Temp), then loading the BMP with OpenGL.

obviously this solution is a little slower than others, but... it should 'just work' without much effort

we could always use this lazy technique for initial testing, until a more 'correct' solution is sorted with SDL_Texture :)

Mason