develooper Front page | | Postings from March 2009

Re: Counting tests

Michael G Schwern
March 16, 2009 16:29
Re: Counting tests
Message ID:
Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from Michael G Schwern
> # on Monday 16 March 2009 11:47:
>> I suppose what really covers their ass is that by being broken up into
>> test_* routines each test function is isolated and their code is
>> simpler and less likely to have a logic error that results in a test
>> never being run.
> Why is it that whenever plans come up, we hear all about the checksum
> aspect, but never talk about the 'progress bar'?  If you're running
> someone else's test suite, it is very nice to have some idea of how
> much has completed.  Yes, that has caveats, but so does everything.

xUnit frameworks certainly have progress bars.  They do this, I assume, by
simply counting the number of test* methods ran vs the total number to be run.

164. There is no such thing as a were-virgin.
    -- The 213 Things Skippy Is No Longer Allowed To Do In The U.S. Army