develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from August 2008

cpantesters - why exit(0)?

From:
Eric Wilhelm
Date:
August 29, 2008 23:52
Subject:
cpantesters - why exit(0)?
Message ID:
200808292351.50611.ewilhelm@cpan.org
Hi all,

I'm trying to understand why the cpantesters require the Build.PL file
to exit with success rather than just die.

What is the logic behind this and is there anyway to change that?

I've recently had to try to explain it to a new author and frankly I
just don't get it.

And having just updated Linux::USBKeyboard (so now I'll get zero reports
instead of all fails?), I find it rather clunky to be writing warn()
followed by exit() when die() would be shorter, as well as just good
practice in any normal code.

Why is it that writing Perl modules and posting modules to CPAN "the
right way" require separate sets of documentation?

Thanks,
Eric
--
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
-- Charles Darwin