develooper Front page | | Postings from January 2008

Test::Builder statistics

January 12, 2008 03:33
Test::Builder statistics
Message ID:
My first attempt at determining the most popular testing modules left
out  Whoops!  I've fixed that.

Out of almost 60,000 test programs, it turns out is used 8,937
times.  Now that I have a file which lists how many times each test
module is used, I can start examining my extracted CPAN to determine
what percentage of modules actually use the Test::Builder framework.

This is done via heuristics, so the numbers are likely to be slightly
off, but I've done enough work with test suites (including a lot of
work on CPAN test suites I haven't written), that I don't think these
numbers are *too* far off.

  Uses            Count  Percent
  Test::Builder   47934   81.30%
  Non-builder      1107    1.88%
  Unknown           642    1.09%          8937   15.16%

(Unknown represents modules I couldn't find the paths to).

So basically, if you put in a special case for, you will likely
be able to write special test code for almost 97% of CPAN modules.

Buy the book  -
Perl and CGI  -
Personal blog -
Tech blog     -